Sunday, April 1, 2012

Thoughts from a Student Teacher Week Ten


This past week was very interesting. I created a vocabulary test for Monday that all of the students took and proceeded to grade the papers the next two days during the standarized writing exam the students had to take. All of the vocabulary terms of the test have been taught throughout the year and we also gave them a study guide to study over the weekend. However, I found that grading those tests was the most depressing thing ever! I now understand how it feels to push something so hard and find that the students really do not care enough to make an effort to study. I think everyone is burnt out and ready for summer break. I have suggested that we give the students an opportunity to take a second vocabulary test and hopefully many of them will take the opportunity to really study.

I spent Tuesday and Wednesday as a restroom/hall monitor during the standarized test. Though a tiring job, it gave me time to grade tests and read. I will be watching the hallways again this coming week as the students complete their mock Math and Reading standarized exams. I cannot believe how many tests the state gives these kids and I feel so sorry for them. My hope is that in my future classroom I will keep my testing to a minimum and making assessments more “undercover” or at least more fun. If there is anything that sucks the fun out of learning it is tests.

Saturday (yesterday) I took the practice Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities (PPR) exam. It only took me 1 ½ hours of the available 5 hours and I felt pretty good about it. I am eager to see my scores and take the real PPR exam next Saturday. There were a lot of elementary focused questions on the tests and I am so thankful that God has given me experience in pre-school classrooms. I was able to think back to some of those experiences to help me answer the questions. Now I just have to wait until the 7th to finally be done with this test!

I found out last week that the principal wants me for next year!! She is just waiting for a position to open up. So I have donned my P.U.S.H bracelet to remind me to “pray until something happens.” The principal also asked me if I wanted to be added to their substitute list once my student teaching assignment is over. Mrs. C says this is another sign that she wants to keep me. J So right now I am praying and waiting because God’s timing is definitely not my own.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Being a teacher is hard work and it is so easy to get discouraged when the students don't take it seriously, which is what sounds like happened with your spelling test. It sounds like you're trying to figure out what God wants you to do career-wise and I encourage you to stay in His word and in His will, and you will find what you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete