Sunday, March 4, 2012

Thoughts from a Student Teacher Week Seven

I have decided that from here on out I will always be tired. The reality of how long I stay at the school hit me when Mrs. C clocked out Friday afternoon. 54 hours. I was at the school 54 hours give or take an hour. Yes, technically I could leave at 3:30, but there is still so much I can help with and so much I can learn in the extra time I am there. So I accept that I will be tired most of the time.

I’m not really sure if I learned anything new this week. We did have the Mock Writing standarized test so I was able to sit in a room for four hours both Tuesday and Wednesday. What an ordeal the State puts these kids through! It was hard for me and Mrs. C to sit there for that long and we weren’t even taking the test.

I’ve been reading some of the popular Youth fiction that comes in and out of our classroom. With the help of the girl who let me borrow her book I finished The Hunger Games trilogy. Many of the students are signing up to be the next one to check out this trilogy from our shelves and it is so much fun to connect to them through literature. I also found out that one of the boys who is actually able to read above 7th grade reading level loves historical fiction, especially surrounding wars. So over the weekend I made him a list of Civil War, WWI, and WWII novels that I have personal read. I hope that he will enjoy these books.

Another student kept asking me about the college I graduated from. He told me he wanted to go there and play soccer so I emailed the admissions counselor and he sent me a admissions packet to give to the boy. The counselor even addressed the letter to him. It was so much fun to watch the boy open his packet! He said it was like Christmas and when he saw the letter with his name on it he kept saying “It’s for me!” I don’t know what is in this boy’s future, but I hope that he realizes he can have dreams and his dreams are attainable.

There are rumors that a couple positions are opening up. The principle has encouraged me to take my Generalist 4-8 exam. I have to admit I’m excited. I’m not sure if God wants me to stay at this middle school, but I do know it would be a joy to continue to work with this team. I look forward to seeing how all this will turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment