Saturday, March 3, 2012

Thoughts from a Student Teacher Week Six

One of the things that has surprised me is how much I’ve come to love these kids! I guess I’ve passed the stage of being exhausted and have come to a point where I really enjoy it. Each day/week I seem to connect with another student. I learn more about them and I try to tell them how much I care about them. They aren’t just faces anymore; they are special people to me.

Which comes to a question I have for you? As a teacher can I write to my students? I LOVE sending cards of encouragement so would it be appropriate to send out a card every now and then to my students? I’ve decided that although the subject I teach is important the most important thing I could do is show these students that I care about them, that I think they are special, that I think they are smart, that I think they can be anything they want to be.

This week I haven’t really taught because of our subject matter; however, on a relationship level I have connected more this week with the kids than at any other time. There are two girls that I have been discussing a book series with. One of the girls actually let me borrow her book! It is a book I’ve been waiting to read for weeks.
One Hispanic boy came in this week and put his hand out to shake mine. But when I went to shake his hand he started performing this fancy hand slap with fist bump. So together we came up with a “handshake” that only we share. J One day I asked him why he wanted to keep “shaking” my hand. He told me, “Cuz you’re cool, Miss!” I always look forward to his grin in the afternoon, which happens to be filled with braces. Moments like that make my day.
I also experienced a very emotional parent-teacher conference. The student began to cry and get angry about her situation at home on top of what was going on at school. This girl has to face so much at only 12 years old! I felt led to speak to her in private. I really feel that God spoke through me as I told her that I cared about her and that my heart hurt for her. I encouraged her to come to me if she ever needed someone to talk. I pray that God will be close to her and help her through her situation.

What an amazing week! I am thankful for the situation I am in. God knew right where He wanted me to be and I am learning so much here!

No comments:

Post a Comment