Saturday, March 3, 2012

Thoughts from a Student Teacher Week Two

The second week of my student teaching experience has been amazing. Not just because I have learned so much, but because I feel so at home at the middle school. I am blessed to have Mrs. C and Mrs. T as mentors and their faith in me constantly amazes me.

1.     To create a better learning environment I would like to change how a new concept is introduced. Of course, I really don’t have the power to do this every day, but when I am teaching I can certainly try. I’m not a fan of how Mrs. C does not use her activity board or chalkboard to write on. I understand that some things are turned around, but I believe that her method of holding up a sheet of paper with the state standards up, hoping that everyone can see it is ineffective. I certainly would not be able to read it from several places in the room. If you are going to do that, why not use a big poster that you can write on, or print out handouts so that each student has their own to read. However, I can see that sometimes it does make the students have to really focus so that they can hear her read the state standards, but the ones that decide to zone out for a second miss everything.
2.     How do I manage student behavior? So far, I’ve only had to remind the students to focus and get back on task. I had one incident where I told a girl to stop talking and she said she could talk if she wanted to. This was the first week. I told her that she was not to speak to me in that manner and that next time I expected her to say “Yes, ma’am.” Since then I haven’t had any problems. However, Mrs. C is always there to handle major issues so I am curious to see what I will encounter as I take over my own groups.
3.     In Thursday afternoon tutorials, to encourage students to participate actively, I have called on students to read and I have tried to ask a lot of questions to encourage discussion. I felt like my first tutorial was a success, the students actively discussed the passages and questions we read and we had an enjoyable time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment