Friday, May 21, 2010

Perseverance


Dicionary.com defines perseverance as a "steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., esp. in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement."

This week I've realized that I haven't learned to persevere. My sister and I began the Susie Magazine 30 day challenge on May 9th. This challenge stipulates that we must:


  • Walk 30 min-5 times a week

  • Jog 20 min- 3 times a week

  • Jump rope 20 min-3times a week

  • Eat one fruit and one vegetable ever day

  • Read 5 Psalms every day

  • Write in a prayer journal every day

  • Be kind to a neighbor 3 times a week

  • Read the gospel of Mark

  • Tell someone verbally about Jesus

  • Read "Hind's Feet on High Places" by Hannah Hurnard

  • Read "The Case for a Creator: Student Edition" by Lee Strobel

This is just a few of the things we must do to complete the challenge. At first, when my sister suggested we participate in this challenge I said "No way!" I knew that when it came to exercise I'm a wimp. I'm not afraid to admit it. But then she showed me we would get a cool t-shirt after completing the challenge. Well, I'm a sucker for t-shirts, so here I am beating my body into submission and wishing I had learned to persevere earlier.


Romans 5:3-4 says "we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character;and character, hope."


Right now exercise seems a lot like suffering so maybe after this 30 day challenge I will have finally produced some perseverance, character, and I hope that I will think hard before entering into a challenge in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment