Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"This is the stuff that drives me crazy"

Yesterday was anything but normal. On my way to school it felt like I had run over something. Looking back in my mirror I didn't see anything in the road. The car didn't feel different, but there had been a pretty loud thud so I was worried whatever it was had hurt the car. I pulled into a nearby gas station and before I had gotten completely out of the car I saw it. A flat tire! My first. This is not counting the semi-flat tire I drove on for 45 minutes a few months ago. Nope this tire was shot. Dead. Finished. Thankfully I have an amazing dad who I can call anytime about anything. Fixing things is his forte. Plus he loves me. :) To make a long story shorter, my mom brought me a back-up vehicle so I could try to get to class while she waited for my SuperDad to fly in like a speeding bullet and change the flat tire. That was just the first crazy thing that happened that day.

I made it to campus just as class started. But I was still in the car, driving through each parking lot trying to find a parking space. Twenty minutes later, I found a space in a parking lot that seemed miles and miles away from the building my class was in. Let me just say that crossing campus, on foot, in the bitterly cold wind is not fun! Not being the kind of person who feels comfortable entering a class late, I sucked it up and snuck into Spanish class thirty minutes late. My professor greeted me wit ha hearty "Buenas dias!" and I embarrassingly and hurriedly slipped into a seat.

Sometimes I wonder why we experience these crazy life moments. But after yesterday I think I understand a little better. I've realized more and more that at the sign of a trial or hardship, no matter how small, I could use a lot more patience and perseverance. Like with my frustrations in my last post...I could do a lot less complaining and a lot more relying on God.

Francesca Battistelli says it perfectly in her new song "This is the Stuff"...

This is the stuff that drives me crazy
This is the stuff that's getting to me lately
In the middle of my little mess
I forget how big I'm blessed

This is the stuff that gets under my skin
But I gotta trust You know exactly what You're doing
It might not be what I would choose
But this is the stuff you use.

Thank you, Jesus, for using some frustrating
circumstances to teach me that I need to depend
on you more. Please "break me of impatience,
conquer my frustrations."
Remind me how much I'm blessed!

2 comments:

  1. Patience is definately something I need to work on, too. Flat tires must stink. I haven't had one yet. Ah the pleasures of driving :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. I listened to that song for the first time today and loved it!

    ReplyDelete