Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Jesus Calling_January 3rd

For Christmas my mom gave me the 365 daily devotional book by Sarah Young called Jesus Calling. Young has a talent for taking verses from scripture and paraphrasing them in a way that it sound like Jesus is talking just to you. I have to say, when I first began reading it I was little skeptical. I mean, God's word is alive so we really don't need someone else paraphrasing it for us to help us connect to it. However, there is something about the word choice and the flow of it that tugs at my heart.

This is today's reading: January 3rd

REFRESH YOURSELF in the Peach of My Presence. This Peace can be your portion at all times and all circumstances. Learn to hide in the secret of My Presence, even as you carry out your duties in the world. I am both with you and within you. I go before you to open the way, and I also walk alongside you. There could never be another companion as devoted as I am.
Because I am your constant Companion, there should be a lightness to your step that is observable to others. Do not be weighed down with problems and unresolved issues, for I am your burden-bearer. In the world you have trials and distress, but don't let them get you down. I have conquered the world and deprived it of power to harm you. In Me you may have confident Peace.

(Psalm 31:19-20; John 16:33)

I hope that this has blessed your day as it has mine. My one resolution for the new year (that I'm willing to stick with no matter what) is that I will pray for more of God's peace and that I live with "a lightness" in my step. I don't just want to ask for peace I want to LIVE God's peace. I want to experience His confident peace every day.

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty cool! Peace is definitely one of the most important things for us as Christians to have. It's talked about so often!!

    One of my favorite Scriptures is Philippians 4:6-7, and it says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the PEACE of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Isn't that awesome??? It's better for us to have the PEACE of God than it is better for us to know everything! That's why it's so important to be able to trust God with your life and to not worry and stress out. I want to have His peace, even if it means not knowing things about my future. I'd rather be able to trust Him and have His peace than to know everything about my future. That's why peace is so important!!!

    ReplyDelete