Thursday, January 5, 2012

Anticipation and Preparation

Tomorrow night my cousins are coming over to spend the night. I think that we've decided that no matter how old we are we could use an occasional all-girl slumber party.

It is amazing how when I am planning on having a guest over I quickly go into preparation mode. I want to make sure that the house is clean and organized, I want to have good food to offer them, and I want to make sure I look my best. However, on a regular day, when I'm not going to entertain company, I'd rather not clean up my messes, I'm not particularly interested in the food I'm going to be eating, and I might go around in my pajamas for, at least, half the day. When I'm not anticipating the arrival of a guest I'm not focused on preparing for one.

So I was pondering over this earlier, while I thought about what to feed my cousins, and I had to stop and say "Wow." Is this not a metaphor for how we approach the second coming of Christ?

As we go through our daily lives we don't really dwell on the fact that He could come back at any moment. Because of this, we don't really focus on cleaning up our lives through prayer and reading His word and we don't necessarily feel the need to bring Him our best. However, if we would live each moment with the thought that He could come back in the next second, minute, or hour wouldn’t we work hard to be ready? Wouldn’t we go into preparation mode with the anticipation of His arrival?



No comments:

Post a Comment