Thursday, May 12, 2011

The End of a Chapter

Have you ever come to the end of a chapter in a book and you can't wait to find out what is going to happen next. Let's say you just read the last sentence of Chapter 10 and the author has left you hanging. You may be experiencing that panicky feeling if the main character is in a dangerous situation, but you are also really excited to see how the scene will play out. In excitement you turn the next page and watch as Chapter 11 unfolds. You don't know what will happen, but you hope your questions will be answered soon. Okay, maybe I'm the only one who really gets into books this way, but there is a point to my metaphor. :)

You see, I've come to an end of a chapter in my life. Yesterday I took my last college final and tomorrow evening I'll be walking accross a stage in my cap and gown to receive my college diploma (okay it won't be the actual thing, but it will come evenutally in the mail). Four years ago, I walked into the university halls as a nervous, shy girl carefully memorizing room numbers and reading the campus map. Praying that I didn't walk into the wrong classroom. Hoping that the teacher would be nice and that the class material wouldn't be too overwhelming. Groaning at how heavy my backpack was and worrying about how I'd get through this new experience. Back then, I thought four years would feel like forever, but here I am, at the end of them, realizing how short four years really is.

I'm not exactly sure what the next chapter holds. I feel like God has left me hanging with the end of this one. Though I'm excited to see what will unfold in the future, I also have that panicky feeling I talked about earlier. Will everything really turn out okay? Will God really guide and direct me or is He leaving me to figure it out on my own. How long until I get answers to my questions? And the list goes on and on. However, I also have that exciting feeling because I know that something good has to be coming and I'm ready to flip to the next page and watch the next chapter unfold.

So as I walk across that stage tomorrow I'll try to soak up the feeling of accomplishment and the reminder of how faithful God has been because a new chapter is coming. In the beginning I might feel a little insecure, like I did four years ago as a freshman in college, but four years flies by and God really is faithful. He'll take my hand and guide me through. He's done it for me these last four years and He'll walk with me through the next chapter too.

Jesus, thank you for blessing me with the opportunity
to earn my college degree. Thank you for walking by
my side during the last four years. I couldn't have done
it without you. As I walk across that stage tomorrow night
I'll not only be shouting my praise that I've earned my degree,
but I'll also be praising you for walking with me along the
way! You are faithful!

3 comments:

  1. I'll be a high school senior this fall but all my courses will be dual enrollment at a local community college. I think I've already chosen my school, a small private Nazarene school very close to home, so I'm already anticipating my freshman year there. High school has been fun, but as a home schooler, I guess it's sort of felt a little incomplete. I'm really excited for college, for a few classes a week and hundreds of students my own age. I'm also excited because I think I know what career direction God is nudging me toward and I'm sooo excited about that, and I can't wait to start studying and preparing for what I feel like I was born for!

    I know my comment's a little random, but oh well :p Thanks for the awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LoVizzle, That's great that you are excited about your future and have an idea of where God is leading you! Your overall talent of writing and expressing your thoughts makes even more sense now that I know you are a homeschooler. ;) I was homeschooled from 3rd through 12th grade! It is great that you are doing dual credit classes. Those really helped me prepare for college and finish in exactly 4 years without summer courses. I can understand how you might feel like something is missing from your homeschooling experience...you may be missing that community feeling you are wishing for. I just want to encourage you not to think that college will fill that longing. If, indeed, you are feeling lonely or isolated (I've felt it many times) remember that only Jesus can fill the emptiness. The people He might bring into your life during your college experience can only be an addition to the fullness and completeness you find in Him! Keep seeking His will and He'll make your path straight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your thoughts! Life is like a book and every chapter written just for you by the Creator of the Universe. He knows the beginning, the end and all the chapters in between. Praying for you and asking our awesome God to give you peace as you turn the next page!

    ReplyDelete