Sunday, June 30, 2013

Be Still My Soul: The Hymn



As I finished Be Still My Soul by Joanne Bischof I reflected on her choice of titles. In my experience of writing short stories (a long long long time ago!) titles are hard to choose. As the author, you want the title to tell the reader something about the story, maybe the message or a clue, or a hint at what is behind the cover. As an English major we studied the meaning of the titles (not an easy job!). Sometimes I would conclude that the author hadn't really thought about the title at all. When it is one word you often wonder. However, in my experience with this book I do wonder what Bischof was thinking. Be Still My Soul made me think of the old hymn by the same title. So I looked up the lyrics and then found this version (seen above) performed by David Archuleta. Before you continue reading listen to this song and read (or sing) the following lyrics.

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;

In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.


Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.

Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord.
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past
All safe and blessèd we shall meet at last.

Be Still My Soul (the hymn) was written by Katherina von Schlegel in 1752. Schlegel wrote many verses to her classic hymn; however, only five verses were translated into English. The three verses above are the verses most commonly sung by artists and church congregations. 

What I love about this hymn is the wording used. No on writes songs like this one anymore. It is more akin to one of William Shakespeare's sonnets than Chris Tomlin's praise songs. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy worshiping along with Chris Tomlin, but his many praise and worship songs do not sound like this old hymn. 

I am not sure why Joanne Bischof would have chosen this title for her novel without having this hymn in mind. When thinking of the novel and the story of Gideon and Lonnie, this song is a mirror image of what the two characters experience. Throughout the novel and the hymn is a story of struggle, but one with a hope that never ends.

The lesson is this: no matter if you are bearing "the cross of grief or pain" or rejoicing because everything is going well in your life you must urge your soul to be still. Psalm 46:10 says,

"Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."

Through anything we face we need to remember to recognize that God is God. He has a plan for us. He will "guide the future, as He has the past." The greatest hope we have is that one day sorrow will be forgotten and joy will be restored as we meet Him at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment